6 replies to this topic

#1 honestAFS

honestAFS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone avdvise if the volunteer ambulances are responding in Dublin city or just assisting HSE with transfares? Don't know if any others in Dublin have noticed the volunteer ambulances on blue lights a lot more lately. Is this just due to the cold snap or other?

I know us in CD were assisting out patients that were inaccessible and transporting them by 4x4 to hositals and visa versa with critical care staff to patient homes. I've just noticed a lot more volunteer units on lights around the city and suburbs and was wondering if they were responding or transfering. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

Honest AFS.

#2 bigj

bigj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi Honest AFS,

I know that the Red Cross were tasked to help the HSE with inter hospital transfers for the duration of the cold snap. I would guess that the Order and St John's were tasked to do the same.

This seems to be the norm now, when the ice and snow hits its all hands to the pump.

Keep it lite.

BigJ

#3 bvm

bvm

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

Hi Honest AFS,

I know that the Red Cross were tasked to help the HSE with inter hospital transfers for the duration of the cold snap. I would guess that the Order and St John's were tasked to do the same.

This seems to be the norm now, when the ice and snow hits its all hands to the pump.

Keep it lite.

BigJ

goes to show...any pressure at all on the every day events in ambulance work means the HSE can't cope..

#4 honestAFS

honestAFS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I thought it would have been an access issue during the weather as in 4x4's and such. Do you recon the HSE were struggling due to the general slow down of ambulances on ice roads during transfers and as a result were caught short?

Fair dues to the volunteer ambulance crews as they seemed to be out in numbers during normal business hours (which for any volunteer in employment is a hard thing). Also, I'd say each volunteer organisation will be sticking in an invoice to the hse so hope the crew members see funding coming down the line in equipment etc.

#5 hse medic

hse medic

Senior Poster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:EMS, Ambulance Service

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I thought it would have been an access issue during the weather as in 4x4's and such. Do you recon the HSE were struggling due to the general slow down of ambulances on ice roads during transfers and as a result were caught short?

Fair dues to the volunteer ambulance crews as they seemed to be out in numbers during normal business hours (which for any volunteer in employment is a hard thing). Also, I'd say each volunteer organisation will be sticking in an invoice to the hse so hope the crew members see funding coming down the line in equipment etc.

I would say that it was because of the general slow down of ambulances on icy roads coupled with the increased inter hospital/nursing home transfers which happen at this time of the year. It wasnt because the National Ambulance Service isn't able to cope with events outside normal ambulance work but like all services it has only a finite amount of resources to be able to respond to calls.

#6 honestAFS

honestAFS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

I would say that it was because of the general slow down of ambulances on icy roads coupled with the increased inter hospital/nursing home transfers which happen at this time of the year. It wasnt because the National Ambulance Service isn't able to cope with events outside normal ambulance work but like all services it has only a finite amount of resources to be able to respond to calls.

Thanks HSE Medic.

Curiosity sorted.

Honest AFS.

#7 romeo bravo

romeo bravo

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

All the vols were out doing PTS, Pharmacy deliveries and PHN transports, both ambulances and 4x4's were utilised at the request of the HSE

Operations were controlled from the Joint Voluntary Command Centre in OMAC HQ in Ballsbridge with the vols in the same control room, everyone worked together, no pissing contests occurred, if anything it has made our working relationships 100 times better.

Fair dues to all the crews who gave up their time

Heres some that appeared on the tv at the time

http://www.rte.ie/ne...ia-2865750.html

http://tv3.ie/videos...full_episodes=

If you want anymore info let me know as i was out with my unit during my days off

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users