Photo

Is Training More Important Than Equipment?

Near miss rescue RNLI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rascal

Rascal
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Looks like a good job by the RNLI and Wexford Harbour Boat Club who raised the alarm and assisted, but the incident shows that issuing equipment and not demonstrating how to use it is a dangerous practice. If someone is given a life jacket but doesn't know to pull the string, they don't have a lifejacket.

http://irishsar.blog...ver-slaney.html

#2 SiteAdministrator

SiteAdministrator

Senior Poster

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Sea Kayaking, Hillwalking, Fire investigation, Website design, Martial arts, fitness, nutrition. The world!

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

er auto-inflate! Hydrostatic or tablet working? String cord only a backup on an auto inflate taking auto to mean once it hits water.

#3 BAT1

BAT1

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

They were not put on properly. A life jacket only works when the wearer puts it on correctly. The waist belt should be tight and the crouch strap should be fitted and adjusted correctly. I have seen plenty life jackets put on upside down and back to front. Also, it may say auto, but if the salt tablet bobbin is not fitted correctly or missing its a manual jacket. I have come across many life jackets with out of date bobbins and Co2 cartridges not fitted correctly (tightened). If you issue a bit of equipment ie a life jacket, you must instruct the wearer how to put it on and fit it correctly, what it does and what to do if it doesn't do what it is suppose to do. Also, the jacket must be serviced annually for commercial users and every two years for leisure users.

#4 dfbemt

dfbemt

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

They were not put on properly. A life jacket only works when the wearer puts it on correctly. The waist belt should be tight and the crouch strap should be fitted and adjusted correctly. I have seen plenty life jackets put on upside down and back to front. Also, it may say auto, but if the salt tablet bobbin is not fitted correctly or missing its a manual jacket. I have come across many life jackets with out of date bobbins and Co2 cartridges not fitted correctly (tightened). If you issue a bit of equipment ie a life jacket, you must instruct the wearer how to put it on and fit it correctly, what it does and what to do if it doesn't do what it is suppose to do. Also, the jacket must be serviced annually for commercial users and every two years for leisure users.

Just like ours are ;)

#5 BAT1

BAT1

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Just like ours are ;)

I think we're moving the right direction.........slowly.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users