• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JJH

JJH
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:28 AM

To whom it may concern:

I am posting to this forum in the interest of procuring a firefighter exchange with a member of an Irish fire department. I have the full support of my department, head office and union in obtaining a yearlong exchange in Ireland.

I am a firefighter with the City of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada and have been with the department as a full time firefighter since November, 2002. I am trained in fire/rescue, marine operations (including swift water rescue certification, shipboard firefighting and fireboat operator), auto extrication and I am a high angle and confined space rescue instructor as well as being a trained first responder (non-paramedic so not sure how suitable Dublin would be). Prior to working structural fire I worked for six years as a wildland firefighter with the Ministry of Forests. The Victoria Fire Department has 123 personnel working out of three fire stations and a marine unit with two fire rescue boats. We work a four on/ four off rotation consisting of two 10 hour day shifts, two 14 hour night shifts followed by four days off.

The city of Victoria is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and is a destination of choice for its temperate climate, natural beauty and world renowned recreational sites. Vancouver Island is one of the few places in the world that you can golf, ski, surf and sail in the same day and is a great jumping off spot to explore the rest of Canada and US.

We would like to include a house swap in the exchange if possible. Our house is located in Fernwood, a vibrant community close to the downtown core (15min bike ride to the farthest of our fire halls). The house (195 m²) was extensively renovated in 2011. Our home has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a large modern kitchen, family room, dining room and rec room. We have a large backyard with garden and chicken coop. There is a seperate self-contained basement suite that our 20 year old daughter (student) will be living in and she will care for the three chickens as well as answer any questions you may have about the property.  The elementary school, a kindergarten to grade five school, is two blocks away and a middle and high school are within easy walking distance. Other amenities are easily accessible.

My family (my wife and two school aged sons) and I would like to start the exchange sometime in the summer of 2016, if this can be accommodated. We are considering taking our 10 year old son’s seizure alert service dog if suitable. He is a very well behaved, hypoallergenic Goldendoodle who only barks when our son is having a seizure. I am eager to make contact with any interested parties and look forward to any questions or expressions of interest.

Thank you

Jed Hyde

jedandchristiana@gmail.com

2632 Forbes St.

Victoria, BC

V8R 4C1

Canada

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exchange, swaps, canada, holiday, international, firefighter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users