46 replies to this topic

#41 angry112

angry112

Experienced Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

Ok. I see where you are coming from,. but do you know of anyone who informs their insurance company that they are retained firefighters ? Do insurance companies add a loading beacuse you are retained ? If they dont , then they can hardly claim that there is an issue .
As I said I was retained and I certainly understand the moral pressure, but its not an excuse, it is the law and firefighters are obliged to obey it the same as everyone else, we spend half or time cutting people from cars who dont obey traffic laws and yes management do know that retained ignore traffic laws but who raises it as an issue with them??
If, (which I wouldnt wish on anyone), you were involved in an RTA involving injury , while going to the station, do you think it could be justified because you were a firefighter ??
Hard questions !!!
With relation to the insurance cover, do a search on "retained firefighters insurance" on google and it gives the NRFA reference and it says you are covered " while commuting to and from fire stations in respect of callouts", cant give a link unfortunately.

Alpha: about 5 years ago the loading on insurance was between 100/200 per annum firefighter's, musicans,chefs and barworkers were all in the same catagory because of the unsociable hours that they worked.
I informed my insurance company that I am a retained firefighter I have no extra loading. It's like everything we do in this job, it's only when something happens that we find out that all is not what it appears to be. It cant hurt to find out how your covered in the event of being involved in an accident while your responding to the station for an alert.

#42 Bleeper

Bleeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

Very interesting letter from dept. of transport to NRFA on their website regarding the possible future use of roof signs or other standerised
system to make us(retained) more visible to other road users, while responding to a call

#43 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Antagonising silly people.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

Very interesting letter from dept. of transport to NRFA on their website regarding the possible future use of roof signs or other standerised
system to make us(retained) more visible to other road users, while responding to a call

What does it say for those of us who arent retained but are nosy about these things !

#44 obmail

obmail

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

What does it say for those of us who arent retained but are nosy about these things !

Ive just posted the letter in the protected forum, union issues area!

#45 Bleeper

Bleeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Ive just posted the letter in the protected forum, union issues area!

Thanks obmail,
You saved me a lot of typing there as i not great with all this PC stuff yet ;)

#46 RedOdare

RedOdare

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

http://www.howthcoas...today/#comments

Sounds like the coastguard and lifeboat had a nightmare of it yesterday with traffic responding to a call.

#47 Scanner

Scanner

Experienced Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

Yeah Kilkenny has been breaking the law for years, similary side strobes are illegal as only orange lights are permitted on the side of vehicles.

If i remember correctly the details u need is a statutory instrument S.I. No. 137/1996: ROAD TRAFFIC (LIGHTING OF VEHICLES) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1996

it states that

'senior fire officer' means a fire officer not below the grade of Assistant Fire Officer (Prevention) but including the grades of Second Officer and Third Officer;

'senior manager in the Irish Marine Emergency Service' means an official of the Irish Marine Emergency Service not below the grade of Divisional Officer.

EXPLANATORY NOTE

These Regulations consolidate and update the statutory provisions in relation to the use of flashing blue or amber warning lights on certain vehicles. The Regulations also permit the use of blue flashing lights on Irish Marine Emergency Service vehicles.

These Regulations complement the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations, 1996 (S.I. No. 138 of 1996) which amend the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 to 1996 to permit the use of sirens on Irish Marine Emergency Service vehicles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users