Photo

use of blue /red light and sirens continued..

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:running computers basketball,cars,fire appliances

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

really i think its down to the local gardai. They said in our area they would turn a blind eye to the use of lights,such as red ones blue ones are out of the question though,..But the traffic corp would obviously be a different story.i mean are they even living on the same planet as us,traffic can be something unreal at times.If your involved in a traffic accident on the way to the station with a red flashing light or whatever on your car though your screwed though. :(

#2 RedOdare

RedOdare

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

really i think its down to the local gardai. They said in our area they would turn a blind eye to the use of lights,such as red ones blue ones are out of the question though,..But the traffic corp would obviously be a different story.i mean are they even living on the same planet as us,traffic can be something unreal at times.If your involved in a traffic accident on the way to the station with a red flashing light or whatever on your car though your screwed though. :(

Yea know having signs on roof etc goes on a lot more than people will admit for obvious reasons, I think its no harm leaving the law as it is with regards to blues for retained etc, it takes one person acting the clown and they'll come down on everyone for any sort of flashing headlights etc.

Areas like Bray suffer really bad with call out times due to traffic.

#3 Red Adare

Red Adare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi all. Have recently started in the retained and like all the rest we have to obey the rules of the road (to a certain extent) while answering our pagers, which to be honest nobody outside the service understands how very frustrating it is to be sitting at a red light or have some complete g*****t crawl along in first gear in front of you knowing you are in a rush. :angry: Curious to know how many/if any retained service personnel have being "done" by the Gardai - whether its the local squad or the traffic corp?

Thanks
alpha1bravo1

#4 jmadfire

jmadfire

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hi all. Have recently started in the retained and like all the rest we have to obey the rules of the road (to a certain extent) while answering our pagers, which to be honest nobody outside the service understands how very frustrating it is to be sitting at a red light or have some complete g*****t crawl along in first gear in front of you knowing you are in a rush. :angry: Curious to know how many/if any retained service personnel have being "done" by the Gardai - whether its the local squad or the traffic corp?

Thanks
alpha1bravo1

hows it going have not heard of anyone in north cork area being done

#5 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

Ambulance and fire brigade drivers who are caught speeding to emergencies by the Gardai now face the threat of penalty points on their private licence, it has emerged.

Fire fighters are demanding a meeting with the Departments of Justice and Environment over what they say is a ‘ludicrous’ situation. There are fears that lives could be put at risk if ambulance and fire brigade drivers are to be penalised for responding to emergencies.

“Society demands that there is a speedy response to emergencies”, Tony McDonnell, Dublin fire brigade SIPTU convenor told irishhealth.com. “However, if drivers are to face penalty points that changes everything. We are being pulled in two directions. Human nature is such that emergency services want to get to a scene as fast as possible. Lives are often at stake and every second counts”.

He said that recently a fire-fighter was cautioned by the Gardai after going through a red light to get to a station to obtain equipment to deal with a fire. That driver is now facing a charge of dangerous driving.

Mr McDonnell also pointed out that under the health reform proposals in the Hanly Report, there would be fewer major hospitals and emergency services would have longer distances to travel. “It would be crazy in such a situation to have drivers facing the threat of penalty points”.

The issue has also been raised in writing with Dublin City Council but a response is awaited, he added.This was taken from IRISH HEALTH SERVICES.

#6 hse medic

hse medic

Senior Poster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:EMS, Ambulance Service

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Ambulance and fire brigade drivers who are caught speeding to emergencies by the Gardai now face the threat of penalty points on their private licence, it has emerged.

Fire fighters are demanding a meeting with the Departments of Justice and Environment over what they say is a ‘ludicrous’ situation. There are fears that lives could be put at risk if ambulance and fire brigade drivers are to be penalised for responding to emergencies.

“Society demands that there is a speedy response to emergencies”, Tony McDonnell, Dublin fire brigade SIPTU convenor told irishhealth.com. “However, if drivers are to face penalty points that changes everything. We are being pulled in two directions. Human nature is such that emergency services want to get to a scene as fast as possible. Lives are often at stake and every second counts”.

He said that recently a fire-fighter was cautioned by the Gardai after going through a red light to get to a station to obtain equipment to deal with a fire. That driver is now facing a charge of dangerous driving.

Mr McDonnell also pointed out that under the health reform proposals in the Hanly Report, there would be fewer major hospitals and emergency services would have longer distances to travel. “It would be crazy in such a situation to have drivers facing the threat of penalty points”.

The issue has also been raised in writing with Dublin City Council but a response is awaited, he added.This was taken from IRISH HEALTH SERVICES.

XCork,
This article is 3yrs old

#7 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:14 AM

XCork,
This article is 3yrs old

Oh sorry about that!

#8 deefer

deefer
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi all, new to the site. a member of the rnli but looking into joining the service as im moving.
We all have this problem, i got onto the dept of transport and its a no go area as far as they are concerned, but again it seems up to the local Gardaí whether or not to let it go on.
I myself have never used lights or audio other than my high beams and horn, but...
you can get a strobe kit for your headlights, white, legal and fairly cheap. You would often see them on a lead vehicle for a wide load convoy or some wide load trucks, has anybody looked into these? (apologies if the white strobes have been brought up but i have not yet read all the posts as im in a rush). Thanks

#9 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hi all, new to the site. a member of the rnli but looking into joining the service as im moving.
We all have this problem, i got onto the dept of transport and its a no go area as far as they are concerned, but again it seems up to the local Gardaí whether or not to let it go on.
I myself have never used lights or audio other than my high beams and horn, but...
you can get a strobe kit for your headlights, white, legal and fairly cheap. You would often see them on a lead vehicle for a wide load convoy or some wide load trucks, has anybody looked into these? (apologies if the white strobes have been brought up but i have not yet read all the posts as im in a rush). Thanks

local gardai dont mind,its the traffic corp who are strict and i dont care what anyone else thinks,and this goes for non related fire brigade issues too

#10 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Antagonising silly people.

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

local gardai dont mind,its the traffic corp who are strict and i dont care what anyone else thinks,and this goes for non related fire brigade issues too

And why exactly does the country have a Traffic Corps , if they arent implementing rules ?

#11 SeniorTech

SeniorTech

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Women, and anythig that gets the Adrenlin Goin

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

And why exactly does the country have a Traffic Corps , if they arent implementing rules ?

As Retained Firefighters, Coastguard and RNLI etc All respond to calls from their place of work or home they would like to get there as fast and as safe as they can. Life and Death is really a matter of time.
How can time be reduced for them? They all know what its like getting Caught in Traffic while going to the station, Even Full Time Lads know what its like even when they are in a vehicle with Full Blues and Twos going.
In the states Vol. Firefighters have lightebars, Whealan Sirens the whole lot on their Private cars. Its Legal and it works.

Whats Wrong Over here is a death has to take place as a result of slow turn out before the government realises the On call members of the Emergency Services need to be seen and heard while going to a call. It has to be pushed for <_< ......As for the Guards implementing rules, its the guard who sees that "that Lifeboat man or Firefighter could be on his way to save one of my family" has the sense to turn the blind eye
Senior Tech

#12 kerryfire

kerryfire

Experienced Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:03 PM

As Retained Firefighters, Coastguard and RNLI etc All respond to calls from their place of work or home they would like to get there as fast and as safe as they can. Life and Death is really a matter of time.
How can time be reduced for them? They all know what its like getting Caught in Traffic while going to the station, Even Full Time Lads know what its like even when they are in a vehicle with Full Blues and Twos going.
In the states Vol. Firefighters have lightebars, Whealan Sirens the whole lot on their Private cars. Its Legal and it works.

Whats Wrong Over here is a death has to take place as a result of slow turn out before the government realises the On call members of the Emergency Services need to be seen and heard while going to a call. It has to be pushed for <_< ......As for the Guards implementing rules, its the guard who sees that "that Lifeboat man or Firefighter could be on his way to save one of my family" has the sense to turn the blind eye

that a well rounded point, BUT you know there are the "glory lads" who drive around with as many fire related badges/stickers with blue lights hidden in there grills, i know ive seen these people and wondered how they see out the window?? thats not a joke, on car i saw in the middle of where the drivers head see's out the window there was a sticker "fire and rescue personel" we all know the one with the dennis fire engine on it, then he had a 6"x2" "fire" reflective badge in the window too, then the i saw 2 hyper blue LED's coming out from the bonnet stuck to the bumper....... its people like that that are gonna ruin it for the rest of you and anything your trying to achive

food for thought......

#13 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Antagonising silly people.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

No, whats wrong "over here" is that there is an expectation by management that a retained or voluntary service should be able to provide the same level of response as a fulltime brigade to "life and death" calls. If a local authority wants an adequate response time, then it has to get off its bum and provide one, there is no reason why retained firefighters should be expected to put themselves and everyone else on the roads at risk by trying to make a "turn out" time, which penalises the retained guy if he is caught in traffic, that the same local authority is incapable of dealing with.
We dont live in the US, we live in Ireland, we have Road Traffic laws and the apply to us just like everyone else and having 10 lads with lights and sirens on their cars racing to the station will just increase the chances of an accident 10 fold and if anyone were to do some research on what happens in the states you'd find out there are deaths every year of volunteer firefighters (and the public )responding in their own vehicles.

To follow your own argument, if we cant beat traffic in 16 tons of appliance with with lights/ and sirens, how do you expect a guy in his fiesta to do it ?

#14 kerryfire

kerryfire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

well here is one big flaw i see with retaied lads using blues etc, how do we know the car shooting past under lights is kept in the same condition as the locall CC as in servied regularly well maintained etc?? we dont, and how do we know if we see a car going past that its a firefighter on a ligitimate call? we dont, any fool can buy a blue light from ebay drive fast and claim he's on the way to a call, do the gards stop him and find out and risk holding up the response time??? too many holes and things that can go wrong so i dont think it will ever happen....

my 2 cents!

#15 SeniorTech

SeniorTech

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yes it can cause risks to thmselves and others on the roads, the same risk when travelling in the Appliance. We all take risks in these jobs dont We?
For the Pedestrian and other road users isn't it safer to see and hear someone coming on Blues insted Of Hazzard Lights??? It gives the road user time to decide and respond on their actions to deal with the On Coming Vehicle same way they respond to any emergency Vehicle coming from a distance.
Local Guards will know who's a firefighter etc. and not. Its not that hard for them to check up and see is there any calls at present. Also what they can do is register the car with the local cops so they will know who is driving what also.
Senior Tech

#16 The Gap

The Gap

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Ye need to get real lads, the only piece of legislation dealing with use of audible and visual warning devices is The Road Traffic Act, and even that dosen't give any exemptions under the sections that matter,and thats to drivers in official emergency service vehicles. All drivers of emergency vehicles are subject to the laws governing driving without due care, careless driving, dangerous driving and dangerous driving causing death. There are exemptions for drivers in relation to parking of vehicles, going against traffic flow etc, but all with the proviso that it must be safe to do so. If you think any Garda, local or Traffic is going to turn a blind eye to dangerous or careless driving you're sorely mistaken, and trying to pass yourself off as an offical vehicle will most likely lead to your personal vehicle being seized. I personally have been involved with numerous incidents involving Garda, Fire and Ambulance service vehicles , and in more than half the cases charges were brought against the drivers, even The Gardai.

As has been said already, its managements underfunding of the service and the expectation that crews will comprimise their own safety to get to the station that lets tham get away with murder, sometimes quite literally.
We the willing
Lead by the unknowing
Are doing the impossible for the ungrateful
We have been doing so much for so long with so little
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing

#17 SeniorTech

SeniorTech

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:33 PM

We know its ilegal, what we would like to see is something passed by the government.
And Yes obviously drive with extreme care. Blue lights doesn't mean you're indistructable. Like driving a machine, you're watching out for everything around you making sure the public are safe.
Senior Tech

#18 kerryfire

kerryfire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

lads, i cant believe your all missing one MAJOR POINT..... INSURANCE??? do you honestly think your insurance compant will pay out if ANYTHING HAPPENS? your technicly not insured, read your policy and the excemptions on every policy, your simply not coverd. i can see the 2 flip sides to the coin the pro's and cons but be realistic, its never gonna happen, plus if you all were handed blue light and told to fire away what happens if some tool pulls out and you hit them? your gonna go crying to the local CC asking are they gonna pay for the damage to the vehicle. it has to be one or the other light or not and sorry but its gonna be no lights by anybodys judgement.......

#19 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

lads, i cant believe your all missing one MAJOR POINT..... INSURANCE??? do you honestly think your insurance compant will pay out if ANYTHING HAPPENS? your technicly not insured, read your policy and the excemptions on every policy, your simply not coverd. i can see the 2 flip sides to the coin the pro's and cons but be realistic, its never gonna happen, plus if you all were handed blue light and told to fire away what happens if some tool pulls out and you hit them? your gonna go crying to the local CC asking are they gonna pay for the damage to the vehicle. it has to be one or the other light or not and sorry but its gonna be no lights by anybodys judgement.......

exemptions maybe not be needed if the public were just aware they might pull over out ot curtousy,and there is firefighterx on the retained assocaition i hear campaigning for a change in the law,acfos are allowed blue lights but they just dont tell the insurance company.

#20 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

exemptions maybe not be needed if the public were just aware they might pull over out ot curtousy,and there is firefighterx on the retained assocaition i hear campaigning for a change in the law,acfos are allowed blue lights but they just dont tell the insurance company.

well alpha.. 2 lads in the south were responding to their beepers recently,not using lights and crashed their cars,i know of them both,their going to be out for months,and only hours previously acfos had told them they werent getting to the station quick enough,theyll both be out for months,one with a neck injury the other broke vertebrae in his back.under new contracts in cork county you ahve to live and work within 2 miles of station and turnout time from station to be 5 mins or less

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users