#1 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:running computers basketball,cars,fire appliances

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:15 AM

Really how do they expect us to obey speed limits with and be at the station in 3-5 minutes.To make things worse drive behind or get caught behind people on the road who drive slower than the speed limit :blink: ok at night its not too bad ,but seriously during the day you would want a siren or mega phone attached to the car screaming down it "get the F cuk out of Way!".I know everyone here probably feels the same way but whats going to be done about it.

#2 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Antagonising silly people.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

Really how do they expect us to obey speed limits with and be at the station in 3-5 minutes.To make things worse drive behind or get caught behind people on the road who drive slower than the speed limit :blink: ok at night its not too bad ,but seriously during the day you would want a siren or mega phone attached to the car screaming down it "get the F cuk out of Way!".I know everyone here probably feels the same way but whats going to be done about it.

Well I would suggest you drive at the speed limits that your supposed to and if the station cant turnout it the time set by the CFO, then its time to look at day manning or fulltime.
Why should retained firefighters put yourselves and other roadusers at risk to suit a system that can be changed if the will was there ??

#3 11Alpha1

11Alpha1

Experienced Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:36 PM

Ya need to relax .. I was the same when i started first but think about it .. If u crash ure car on the way to a call who`ll pay fr the damage ??? Maybe a single hour call during the day .. Euro40 earned but maybe a few grand damage to ure car :angry: It`s hardly worth that .. yes we all drive on a bit going to the station but no need to b dangerous bout it.. And aswell if the person in front is doing 10 mph what about it ?? They have a right to do it .. We don`t have any right to break the speed limit but we all have a right to drive below it

#4 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Ya need to relax .. I was the same when i started first but think about it .. If u crash ure car on the way to a call who`ll pay fr the damage ??? Maybe a single hour call during the day .. Euro40 earned but maybe a few grand damage to ure car :angry: It`s hardly worth that .. yes we all drive on a bit going to the station but no need to b dangerous bout it.. And aswell if the person in front is doing 10 mph what about it ?? They have a right to do it .. We don`t have any right to break the speed limit but we all have a right to drive below it

DRIVING TOO SLOW>is just as bad as driving too fast and actually ive seen people been done for it.it causes other road users to try and overtake and pushes them to start driving badly .And its fine to say that about the speed limit but a guard ambulance driver or fire /mechanic/driver hasnt the right to break a red light even with blue flashers on a siren,hes does so on his own back which he his not covered for.For those who are probationer in a Retained fire postion they have to make 85% of the calls .In cork county the new thing is somesort of a contract where they must sign and in it its supposed to say every 3 months they are up for review.And then its either improve or good luck!!!

#5 11Alpha1

11Alpha1

Experienced Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

DRIVING TOO SLOW>is just as bad as driving too fast and actually ive seen people been done for it.it causes other road users to try and overtake and pushes them to start driving badly .And its fine to say that about the speed limit but a guard ambulance driver or fire /mechanic/driver hasnt the right to break a red light even with blue flashers on a siren,hes does so on his own back which he his not covered for.For those who are probationer in a Retained fire postion they have to make 85% of the calls .In cork county the new thing is somesort of a contract where they must sign and in it its supposed to say every 3 months they are up for review.And then its either improve or good luck!!!

Yea well if ya can`t make the call`s that`s a problem for the chief to sort out .. I agree with people driving to slow being dangerous but i just meant they have the right to do it .. U have no right to break the speed limit ..
Don`t get me wrong i`m retained aswell and know how u feel but do u think any1 will care if u crash ure car while going to a bin fire ??? And maybe injure some1 when ya crash ???

#6 obmail

obmail

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Corkrebel how long are you on the job? Believe me i know exactly how you feel coz i was once new to the job myself and when the bleeper went off back then id run through the door rather than open it if i thought it would get me to the station quicker. Obviously most of us are a little heavy on the pedal when turning out but before too long you will have soon figured out the best routes to take at a particular time of day as well as the best places to dump your car and run for the station etc. Dont go too mad because you will get no thanks for havin an accident on the way to a call and it will cost you big time.

Its a matter for your health and safety rep if your chief is setting unreasonable demands on you to turn out in 3-5 minutes if its not possible, after all they did know where you live and work when you were offered the job im sure!

#7 xcorkrebelx

xcorkrebelx

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:12 AM

[quote name='obmail' date='Jun 5 2008, 22:22 PM' post='6805']
Corkrebel how long are you on the job? Believe me i know exactly how you feel coz i was once new to the job myself and when the bleeper went off back then id run through the door rather than open it if i thought it would get me to the station quicker. Obviously most of us are a little heavy on the pedal when turning out but before too long you will have soon figured out the best routes to take at a particular time of day as well as the best places to dump your car and run for the station etc. Dont go too mad because you will get no thanks for havin an accident on the way to a call and it will cost you big time.

Its a matter for your health and safety rep if your chief is setting unreasonable demands on you to turn out in 3-5 minutes if its not possible, after all they did know where you live and work when you were offered the job im sure!
[/quote

thanks for replying lads ill keep all this in mind

#8 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:35 AM

Drivers of Fire Appliances and Ambulances are exempted under byelaw 13 of SI 63 1993 from prosecution for breaking a red light.

#9 Chilled

Chilled

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

Drivers of Fire Appliances and Ambulances are exempted under byelaw 13 of SI 63 1993 from prosecution for breaking a red light.

You left out the most important bit " when it is safe to do so". Consequently, if you break a light and crash it can be judged as not having been " safe to do so ". You can't be done for the red light but can be done for dangerous driving. I'm sure your well aware of this and i'm only posting this to inform others who mightn't be

#10 alpha

alpha

Senior Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

You left out the most important bit " when it is safe to do so". Consequently, if you break a light and crash it can be judged as not having been " safe to do so ". You can't be done for the red light but can be done for dangerous driving. I'm sure your well aware of this and i'm only posting this to inform others who mightn't be

Absolutely, your right, but any driver who drives through a red light when it is'nt safe to do , deserves to be prosecuted. I think anyone who has done an EFAD or advanced driving course will tell you that arriving safe is the most important thing , both for the crew, other road users and not for forgetting the people who called us, as I would imagine they would actually like us to arrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users