3 replies to this topic

#1 FFPF

FFPF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hi all,

I have been a retained firefighter for 3 years now during which time I have I have been receiving social welfare payments. My understanding was that we as retained firefighters where entitled to welfare payments on account of the unreliable nature and frequency of our calls.

I was recently called into the welfare office and told that I would need to go get a full time job as firefighters are no longer entitled to welfare payments.

So my questions are :
- Has there been a major change in policy where retained firefighters are no longer entitled to welfare payments or is this a case of someone deciding that firefighters are an easy way to reduce the numbers on the welfare register?
- Has anyone else around the country been faced with a simular issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 afterburn

afterburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:21 PM

Are you a union member? Are you an nrfa member? 

#3 FFPF

FFPF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

Yes afterburn, spoke to my union rep shortly after posting this and they have helped me to resolve my issue thanks

#4 afterburn

afterburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

Glad to hear it mate. For the record there has been no change in policy or the conditions that need to be met to qualify for jobseekers benefit. No firefighter should be on Jobseekers allowance as that is means tested, we all pay class A stamps so we are entitled to claim jobseekers benefit. Retained firefighters are also exempt from some of the condition to qualify.

Such as "You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of 7 consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (casual workers and retained firefighters with no other employment are exempt from this rule).".

To anyone else reading this who may find themselves in a similar situation I would advise you to join a union and join the NRFA as there is help available but you cannot expect these people to help you if you don't pay your subs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users